Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hold Still


Hold Still by Nina LaCour
Rating: 1/5 stars



Overview: After losing her best friend, Ingrid, to suicide, Caitlin is completely immobilized. Unable to function, and refusing to visit a therapist, she begins the long journey to wellness alone. During this year of heart-wrenching, raw emotion, Caitlin finds Ingrid's journal, which not only reveals her descent into irreversible depression, but also serves as Caitlin's vehicle for renewed hope in the future.






My Review: I have respect for all books author's write, because I know what a long and exhausting process it is. And I have respect for LaCour and the characters and story line she produced. Although, I just don't think it was good enough to be made into a book. Maybe if she worked it more, changed the plot line a bit, it could have been better. 
Now I must inform you that this is my opinion, and no offense should be taken. But truthfully this book was a waste of money. I don't believe that the main character, Caitlin, was believable. And frankly Dylan annoyed me. A big thing for me was I didn't care about the character's, which when I or anyone reads a book that is what makes them want to continue, because they feel for the characters and want the best for them. But I didn't feel this for any of them, even the dead girl.
I didn't finish reading the book due to the things I listed above. I did read the end though, or at least part of it, and the end was as expected. The book as a whole was not interesting. The story was just there, with no real feeling at all. 
On a lighter note, the reason why I gave the story the one lone star was because of the initial idea. The concept of your best friend committing suicide is fascinating to me, and that's what drew me to read it in the first place. I read another book called The Anatomy of Wings, which was about how this girls sister committed suicide and that plot idea formed beautifully into a story. This one though, had potential, but the author didn't use it to their advantage. The story was boring and uneventful. 127 pages into it, ( By the way it is only 229 pages long), I was practically falling asleep. The concept was good but the plot was terrible. I would not recommend this book unless you were to get it from your local library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment