Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Rating: 4/5 stars


Overview: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love
.

My Review: OK so, I just want to start off by saying how much I adore Lauren Oliver and every book she writes, (which, so far, has only been two) none the less I have been a fan of her writing from the beginning. Which is why when I heard she was having a new book coming out, I freaked I was so excited. I bought it the first day it came out and haven't regretted reading it, Oliver never lets her readers down. First off, in Oliver's first book, Before i Fall, Samantha, her main character, isn't the most likable main character but Oliver changes it up in Delirium making her main character, Lena, a character worth rooting for. Of course it can seen to be a typical, boy meets girl, girl falls for boy even though she does not want to. And on the surface, yes that's what the book is about, this girl falling in love, when under the circumstances, she can't. Forbidden love has always been a pleasure to read among people. The thing people have to look for in all of Oliver's books is that deeper meaning, and although in this book it may be somewhat hidden you can still get the feel of how terrible and horrendous our world would be without love. Without pain no one can truly live. And Oliver teaches us this in her new book. The whole book was fantastic, the plot moved very fast, and the characters were believable. The ending was what caught me off guard, yes it was unexpected, and if I didn't know she was coming out with a sequel I would probably be on the floor right now bawling my eyes out. I do recommend this book to everyone who loves a good love story with a moral. Samantha had something to teach us in Oliver's first book and as expected Lena did also. 
The only reason I gave the book four stars out of five is just because of personal preference, I'm not a big fan of lovey lovey stories, but this one Oliver pulled off well, I suppose it could be a four point five.... ha! Have a nice day everyone. And go out and buy Delirium! You wont be disappointed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment